Northern Warfare Training Center | Fort Wainwright,
Alaska | 1.907.353.1178
The Army's only Cold Region Training Proponent |
Battle Cold and Conquer Mountains
CWLC - Cold Weather Leaders Course
Click here for the CWLC Packing List (updated 01.25.14)
Click here for the Packing List Picture Book (updated 01.02.13)
All Soldiers attending the CWLC are required to bring their assigned weapon (M4 or M16 Only) and three 30 rd magazines for the course's biathlon event.
Units without assigned M4 or M16 weapons will submit a request for waiver for their soldier to attend CWLC. POC is the NWTC OPS NCOIC @ 353-1178 or NWTC Operations
Courses material and scope
Cold Weather Leaders Course (Download the Student Handout)
The Cold Weather Leaders Course (CWLC) trains squad and platoon-level leaders in the knowledge/skills required to successfully conduct small unit operations in a cold, snow-covered environment. Emphasis is placed on the effects of cold on personnel and materiel, use of basic cold weather clothing and equipment, winter field craft, snowshoe/ski techniques and winter/cold regions navigation and route planning. Attendees will receive comprehensive instruction/training materials enabling them to implement basic cold weather and ski training programs within their units. Cold weather risk management procedures are stressed throughout the course of instruction.
1. Enlisted Personnel. E-4 through E-7 (Specialist serving in a leadership position may attend as vacancies permit).
2. Warrant/commissioned officer personnel. WO-1, CWO-2/O-l, and O-2 platoon-level leaders.
3. Students may not have a P-2 or temporary profile(s) under the P, U, or L columns of the physical profile or a temporary/permanent profile restricting exposure to cold temperatures. All students must meet minimum physical training, height and weight standards.
4. Soldiers not meeting the prerequisites listed above will need to get approval from the Commandant, NWTC, prior to the start of the course.
5. Students MUST have a Field Meal Card issued by their unit. Special waivers will only be granted with approval from the Commandant, NWTC prior to the start of the course.
6. A security clearance is not required.
C. Reporting Instructions.
(1) Due to limited parking at the Black Rapids Training Site, privately
owned vehicles and individual government vehicle travel are not authorized.
(a) Fort Wainwright and non-JBER students - report to building designated in
welcome letter, at 0700, on the report date. NWTC is responsible for
transportation from Fort Wainwright to the Black Rapids Training Site and
return. Students will be transported to, and arrive at, the Black Rapids
Training Site between 1200 and 1600 on the report date.
(b) JBER students - The USARAK G3 Schools section will arrange bus
transportation if there will be at least ten people attending from JBER. The
parent unit is responsible for inter-Alaska travel if there will be fewer
than ten people traveling from a given post. JBER students will depart for
the course 1 day prior to the report date.
(3) There is no separate issue facility at Black Rapids Training Site;
attendees arriving without the prescribed clothing and equipment items may
be denied admission to the course.
(4) There are no Post Exchange facilities available at the Black Rapids
Training Site; attendees must bring adequate personal hygiene items/sundries
to last the duration of the course.
(a). All items listed on the packing list for each course (see NWTC website http://www.wainwright.army.mil/nwtc) will be inspected on day zero for accountability and serviceability. Students arriving with unserviceable or missing equipment will be required to obtain the equipment prior to departing for Black Rapids Training Site or will be required to return to home station. NWTC does not have a supply system to DX or replace missing equipment.
(b) All Soldiers attending the CWLC are required to bring their assigned weapon (M4 or M16 Only) and three 30 round magazines for the course's biathlon event. Units without assigned M4 or M16 weapons will submit a request for waiver for their soldier to attend CWLC. POC is the NWTC OPS NCOIC @ 353-1178
Follow us on Facebook